Friday, February 8, 2013

'snow face like home! winter in Minneapolis

Lucky me! I had Thursday off of work, so I decided to treat Nash to some open fields in the heart of Minneapolis...and by open fields, I mean the size of a football field fenced in, courtesy of the City of Lakes, Minneapolis! the latest and greatest addition to Minneapolis' off leash dog parks is located on King's Highway (Dupont Ave, South) and approximately 38th Street. Nash LOVED frolicking, sprinting, and rolling in the open area with his fellow canine friends. The weather was a nice 20 degrees with little to no wind; in other words, warm enough to be out for almost two hours! we had a nice time walking to the park, playing around (still working on the whole "fetch" game with him!) and walking back home. For anyone interested, he pooed three times!! THREE TIMES! luckily i had enough bags to pick up after him. so, note to self (and others), bring extra bags with to the dog park!


Lily: great dane/black lab mix, 
Coco: great dane, 
Nash: Redbone Coon Hound/shepherd/goofball mix

Once Nash felt comfortable enough with Coco, he was running under legs like she was just another bridge. pretty hilarious...and she didn't even mind! Lily and Coco were both very sweet dogs and were quite polite to Nash.

Wednesday night I worked pretty late - by the time i headed home, it was just after bar close so the streets were very bare. except for this snow mountain! What!? since when do the snow plows leave gigantic now piles in the middle of a street? DOWNTOWN!? It was kind of fun to see, at least. 


that's a ~10 foot snow pile! 
completely blocking a lane in downtown Minneapolis!


I swear it was huge, in person! 
it was certainly higher than my SUV, 
and about 4 car lengths long.

Each day on my way to Orange Theory Fitness, I see these awesome snow sculptures. I think they were put into place in celebration of the Loppet that was held last weekend in Uptown (Loppet = Cross Country ski race). This is just one of the sculptures - I snapped this pic Thursday from my car and hopefully will get a chance to stop by and loop at all of them before they melt on Saturday. My favorite is a horse...might be a unicorn even! these sculptures are pretty amazing, to me, and are huge! i would guess they are about 8-10 feet tall and 4 feet across. Yes, that's a huge face! Something else I think is pretty cool about these sculptures and their locations is that in the summer time we have sand sculptures just down the street. I love Minnesota - we really do find a way to embrace each and every season.


so, word on the street is that the NE is supposed to get clobbered with snow this weekend. No offense, but why is it always such an earth-shattering news story whenever the NE states are forecasted to get any type of storm? they get hit with one big snow storm EVERY WINTER! get over it already! be prepared! i feel like they are just always making a mountain out of a molehill when it comes to weather (not including Sandy. I will give them that one). You don't hear Wisconsin, the Dakotas, Iowa or Minnesota crying whenever we get hammered with snow! we know where we live, we know what winter brings... it's not a surprise that sometimes it snows 10+ inches. duh.  I feel like it's as much of a no-brainer as FLorida getting sunshine... hello!

anyway, we are supposed to get some heavy snowfall starting Sunday morning and it's rumored (if you listen to WCCO they will try to scare you into thinking the sky is falling!!), depending what station you tune into, we could get up to ten inches of snow! in one day! I am really excited!! I think we will rev up the snowblower saturday to make sure she's primed and ready to rock on Sunday - because that's a lot of snow in a short amount of time, which means it's snowblowing a couple times during the day OR nonstop shoveling. I like the first option better! well, i mean I think James does. ;) Love my "man power!"

as my friend Lisa Christine says, Enjoy the weekend. Like, really...enjoy it!

OK!

No comments:

Post a Comment