Thursday, August 30, 2012

mish mash blog bash?

the last few days have been pretty tame for me. i have been running as usual, trying to stay on top of things at work, and even started a "new" project at work... planning the annual Christmas party!! 

this is a big task. to me, the number one important factor in this party is the venue. we aim to have the party downtown each year, which at this point is starting to pose a challenge. I do not want to have the party at the same place as we've already done, but our group size is pretty awkward. I have looked at a few awesome restaurant options, but because we require a private room, most places cannot accommodate our size. bummer! this really eliminates the majority of my ideas and "wow" places. shoot. so then I move on to more mainstream locations, which is fine, but i hate just having a party in a big box of a room. i prefer to be in a location where our group can experience and buzz and excitement from other "outside" factors - other diners, the hustle and bustle of downtown on a saturday night, lights, energy, etc... we had one party at a really neat, upscale location (a very trendy museum in town), but to me it was more boring that what I know is representative of our group. make sense? we were secluded in a (beautiful!) private room with just ourselves and a gorgeous view of the Minneapolis skyline. Of course we had a great time, but I feel like when we have outside influence of nearby bars or people coming and going, things tend to be a bit more energetic within our group. AND, my favorite part, is a smaller group of coworkers (and their dates) will arrange to go to another bar after the formal party - and that's when things typically get really fun! I would assume that most company parties are that way? am I off base here?

last year we dined at the ever-cool, always a great time Uptown hot spot Chino Latino. Food was superb (and very different! Chinese-Latin fusion. mmm!), atmosphere was vivacious and the fun never stopped! after dinner and some fun socializing, a smaller "younger" sub-group went to another bar or two to top off the night's fun. I loved it!! to me, that's what the Christmas party is all about - hanging out with your coworkers in a non-stuffy, relaxed atmosphere. let our hair down, be friends, and save the work talk for work hours! I am hoping to achieve the same flow of the evening this year, but it's tough to find a place that can take our group size, be trendy and "outside the box," be downtown and be a place we've yet to discover.

but, enough about Christmas in August! this weekend is Labor Day weekend, which means a three day weekend!! I spent a good, hard 2 hours on the lawn last night, so we can enjoy our days off this weekend - no lawn work required! Saturday James has his first Carleton game at Grinnell in Iowa, so we'll be down in the cornfields - i mean football field! - for the day. Sunday we are planning on going to the Mn State Fair (will post pics of the amazing people watching we will be doing!!!), and Monday is yet to be determined.... I am guessing that since it should be so gorgeous outside, we will spend the day in the sun - maybe in the pool or at the beach!

what a boring post. 

well, i guess i have something that I find entertaining... what on earth is up with these fashion posts?!!? it seems like everywhere i look (on the web!) some chick is blogging about how much of a fashionista she is (in her opinion). there are a couple gals out there with true style that i am in AWE of every day with their fantastic outfits and fashion sense, YES. but there are so many that I've seen that I (SHAME ON ME) chuckle at, to myself. Now, i am NO fashion authority and really, I don't care HOW you dress, as long as you are presentable, but some of these girls really think they are something "fabulous" and want to share themselves and every.single.one. of their outfits with the world! thing is, these outfits are not cute! they don't fit the girls' bodies properly, and in my silly little opinion (which i should keep to myself! my mom taught me, "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all!" well, sorry mom but today i break the rule!), they do NOT match and these girls just look like they are trying WAY too hard! eww. i hope, hope, hope that I don't ever look that way. when in doubt, I go for jeans and a plain white tee and maybe some fun accessories... less is better, in my book (for ME). more power to these chicks for wearing all these ultra-trendy clothes (usually, all the trends at once - ummm, tacky, to me!) and being brave/confident enough to rock'em, but it's not my style... oh well. to each, her own. and I guess confidence really never goes out of style (but, like trends, too much can be obnoxious.) just sayin'!

so there ya have it. a nice, ho-hum boring post followed by a criticizing bratty rant. 

oh snap. and it is supposed to be "thankful thursday." well, i guess today I am thankful for the first amendment - freedom to say whatever i want! sorta. :) and freedom for anyone to express how/what they feel, in a civil manner. so to the gals rocking 5 different trends at once or trying to pawn off their "vintage" cardigan as super cool (versus super-frumpy and dumpy!), go for it!! I am thankful for our diversity and self expression. AMERICA!

thankfully, it's thursday. now BRING ON THE WEEKEND!

No comments:

Post a Comment